People drink to socialize, celebrate, and relax. Alcohol often has a strong effect on people – and throughout history, we’ve struggled to understand and manage alcohol’s power. Alcohol can be an addictive substance. Not everyone who consumes alcohol will become addicted. However, certain people may be more susceptible to addiction.
Alcohol’s effects vary from person to person, depending on a variety of factors, including:
- How much you drink
- How often you drink
- Your age
- Your health status
- Your family history
While drinking alcohol is itself not necessarily a problem – drinking too much can cause a range of consequences, and increase your risk for a variety of problems.
How do I know if I am abusing alcohol?
Individuals who suffer from alcohol abuse do not always exhibit the same symptoms. The type of symptoms experienced by an individual will depend on a number of factors, such as the individual’s background and medical history. While alcohol abuse symptoms do vary, there are signs and symptoms that can indicate a problem.
- Decreased involvement in extracurricular activities
- Loss of interest in work or school
- Lack of interest in family or friends
- Preoccupation with drinking
- Inability to control drinking
- Erratic behavior
- Violent behavior
I believe that I have a problem, what happens next?
Addiction Telemed is here to help. Treatment typically has three stages:
- Detoxification (detox): This may be needed immediately after discontinuing alcohol use and can be a medical emergency, as detox can result in withdrawal seizures, hallucinations, delirium tremens (DT), and in some cases may result in death.
- Rehabilitation: This involves counseling and medications to give the recovering alcoholic the skills needed for maintaining sobriety. This step in treatment can be done inpatient or outpatient. Both are equally effective.
- Maintenance of sobriety: This step’s success requires an alcoholic to be self-driven. The key to maintenance is support… we will be with you every step of the way.
Addiction Telemed provides effective and affordable outpatient treatment for recovery. We use state-of-the-art telemedicine software that connects you and your medical provider via webcam so you can be in the privacy of your home or office… as long as you have smartphone, iPad, or computer with camera and internet service, we can help!
Contact us today to take the first step toward recovery and discover your life beyond addiction!